Location of Openings
- The best design of fabrication is to have the end completely open with the same diameter as the section top and bottom.
- This is an acceptable substitute if it is not possible to have a full opening.
- When no holes are allowed in the cap- or base-plate, two half-circles 180º apart at opposite ends of the pole must be used.
Openings at each end must be at least 30% of the I.D. area of the pipe for pipes 3″ (7.6 cm) and greater, and 45% of the I.D. area for pipes smaller than 3″.
Allow 30% of the area of the I.D. for hole sizes at each end.
- End completely open
- Slot A = 3/4″ (19 mm), Center hole B = 3″ (7.6 cm) in diameter
- An example of sizes for a 6″ (15 cm) diameter section. Half-circle C = 1.75″ (4.5 cm) radius
- Oval opening = 1.75″ (4.5 cm) radius
- Half-circle D = 1 5/8″ (1.9 cm) radius
How to Fabricate Box Sections for Galvanizing
Holes and clipped corners must be flush as shown in Figure 6 above. Using the following formulas, the table shows typical sizes of holes:
Internal gussets: Space at a minimum of 36″ (91 cm).
Box sections: When H + W = 24″ (61 cm) or larger, the area of the hole (plus clips) should equal 25% of the cross-sectional area of the box (H x W).
When H + W = less than 24″ (61 cm) but greater than 16″ (40.6 cm), the area of the hole (plus clips) should equal 30% of the cross-sectional area of the box (H x W).
When H + W = less than 16″ (40.6 cm) but equal to or greater than 8″ (20 cm), the area of the hole (plus clips) should equal 40% of the cross-sectional area of the box (H x W).
When H + W = less than 8″ (20 cm), leave completely open with no end-plate or internal gusset.
The above table is for square box sections only. For rectangular sections, calculate the required area, and check with South Atlantic for position of openings.
With plants in various locations across the Southeast, we’ve got you covered and are easily able to ship anywhere in the United States. We’re also proud to offer American-made products whenever they are domestically available.
Getting a quote and ordering online is simple and quick due to our streamlined system. Contact us today.